Whether you are an experienced DIYer or a complete novice, we have put together a few simple tips on ‘How to DIY upgrade your home’.
1. UPGRADE YOUR FRONT DOOR
We love these fresh door designs shown below. A front door can dramatically affect the curb appeal of your home, the good thing is you can add a new breath of life by simply updating the colour and door furniture used. The door knocker is a great way to make a great first impression. Choose something unique and in keeping with your style. Try to keep unity when selecting your door furniture colour and style. Chrome looks great on minimalist modern doors and aged bronze or gold looks great with period properties.
Why not try to make a floral door garland to give your home a truly fresh feeling?
2. Panel your Walls
A big trend of 2021 is to DIY panel your walls. You may have seen this trend in a home design magazine or on social platforms such as TikTok. It has become a popular trend for Tiktok creators to share short videos on how to create this look effortlessly. It looks fabulous in a variety of style spaces and is a great way to bring a relaxed warmth to a bare room. Follow our simple steps to create a professional finish without the price tag of paying for a professional.
What you will need by Melanie Lissack’s guide:
- Packs of polymer strips from Screwfix
- Central MDF rail from Wickes
- Ultimate Instant Grab adhesive from Wickes
- 1m Aluminium ruler
- Builder’s spirit level
- Sandpaper (120 grit is perfect for the job)
- Simple set square and protractor
- Good quality caulk
- Caulking gun
- If you are panelling a very small space then you can use a manual mitre box and a handsaw. However, Melanie highly recommends investing in this compact electric mitre saw which makes the job much easier!
We Adore this stunning transformation by Melanie Lissack! Her DIY panelling has not only given the room a superior presence but also provided a feeling of space.
3. Add Candles
Candles have evolved from a necessity to a luxury that many of us indulge in. Are we not all guilty of adding a sneaky candle into the shopping trolley when grocery shopping? Adding candles brings an intimate and relaxed atmosphere to really help space feel like home.
The good news is that candles are super easy to make. You can create a unique and personalised candle by following these few simple steps.
What you will need:
- Wax beads – or leftover candle wax from old candles (may take a while to collect but a great way to recycle)
- Moulds or Glass containers ( you could use an old mason jar or reuse an old candle holder)
- Essential oils to scent the candles
- Candle Wick
- A saucepan
- Glass jug for heating wax into
4. Upcycled Furniture
Now that shops have reopened it is the perfect opportunity to get out and pick up some bargains. Upcycling furniture can not only be rewarding but also a great way to create something unique for your home. Great places to pick up some furniture bargains: your local reclaim yard, car boot sales and Market Place on Facebook.
Anyone can easily DIY Upgrade furniture; here’s a few tips to help you achieve the best results.
- Always sand before painting wood furniture – This will help to create a smooth professional finish.
- Find Inspiration – Before you start buying furniture or upcycling materials finding inspiration or a guide on how to achieve your desired look will allow you to get organised and achieve a professional finish.
- Test patch- Do your test patch in a discrete area of your furniture to ensure that the finish of the paint is what you imagined. This avoids any disappointment after painting the entire piece.
5. Add a Statement Piece
Adding a statement piece is a great way to give any room that finished feel. This could be anything from a piece of furniture to a premiant fixture such as wallpaper or one of our Splashbacks. Statement pieces are often something you keep for a long time so make sure you spend time gathering inspiration. Check out our inspiration page!